Thursday, 4 June 2009

This is my life!

I can completely relate when I read comments that say I've fallen off the wagon or fallen off track. It sounds just like me the first time I joined WW last year. This time around I haven't really felt like I've gone off track because I eat like I would normally eat, I'm just more mindful. I'm not a health freak and I don't eat things just because they're good for me. (perhaps I will work up to that). I try everything once to see if maybe I can incorporate it into my meal plan.

For me, I go off track if I feel deprived but I don't allow myself to feel that way. Whatever I'm craving I eat, track and move on. I think it's so important not to change your entire way of life because then you feel restricted. Whenever I hear those comments the first thing I wonder is what they're depriving themselves of that they are so desperate to eat that it throws them completely off track. If you LOVE chips, ration out points for them everyday so you can have a handful. If you LOVE burgers, skip the dinky fast food ones and make your own out of extra lean ground beef... I promise you will not be disappointed... Homemade burgers are so much better. If you LOVE everything fried, battered, au gratin, sweet, sugary, salty, buttery whatever... start practising some self control. Everything is fine in moderation but at some point you have to draw the line. Trust me I LOVE FOOD... but I also don't want to be this size forever so I've learned to summon my self control. At night I crave everything under the sun, pizza, buttery popcorn, popeyes chicken, Harvey's poutine... The old Allie would go out at night and grab what she was craving. At night I realize I just need to go to bed and by the morning most of those cravings have subsided.

Also, you have to give your "new" way of eating some time. Don't assume you can change everything overnight. I know it's hard when you feel like everyone around you is eating what they want and you have to think about it before hand. Here's my solution:

If friends are going for Fast Food I have a few go to meals that I know are low in points, will satisfy me and won't make me stick out like a sore thumb. All of my friends and family know I'm on WW so they're pretty good about helping me out but I've encountered a few instances where acquaintances didn't understand my pleas for better food options. After a while you sound neurotic and not everyone wants to hear about all of your healthy exploits.

Another thing that helped me along the way was a "cut and reintroduce" type scheme. When I first started WW in January I was very mindful of the things I was eating and eliminated a lot of the bad foods I was eating reminding myself that I could have them as a treat. I avoided fast food altogether and restaurants were few and far between. I then stopped craving the bad food and started to have them as treats (exactly what they were intended for). My mum is a skinny but busy woman. I have a younger brother who is a fast food junkie (he's a small kid cause all he does is run around and play sports). She stops at fast food places a lot. I'm pretty good and turning it down but every once in a while I'll treat myself to some food.

After a while it just becomes part of your life. This IS my life... I eat what I want when I want it. I just count it and move on.

Speaking of eating things just because they're healthy... (pukes) I tried to have cottage cheese as a snack yesterday. I added strawberries since I love brick cheese and grapes I figured cottage cheese and strawberries would be delightful. Um no! Cottage cheese... not for me. It belongs in my mum's lasagna but not on it's own.

LOL I tried to like it but it just wasn't happening. I picked out all of the strawberries and enjoyed them... the cottage cheese had a date with my garbage. Good thing I bought a small container. What am I going to do with the rest. My mum has no intention of making lasagna any time soon so something must be done with this cottage cheese. Please leave any suggestions that don't include eating it raw. LOL

Sorry for this long post. I didn't intend to be so long winded and preachy but I really want people to understand that you have to make this a way of life. Don't be intimidated by those who seem to be perfect... the ones that don't eat a single unhealthy crumb and that exercise every waking moment. YOU can do this YOUR way!

I believe in you! If I can get a handle on this thing anyone can.

Thanks for reading.

xoxo

Allie

No comments: