Saturday, 12 September 2009

Something New

Since I'm starting fresh, I decided to make it my mission to try some new things today.

I remixed some of the foods I traditionally don't like to see if I could find a way to enjoy them.

First step: Oatmeal (stop laughing I am one determined girl).

I had planned to try overnight oats but I forgot, so when I got up this morning I decided to have my oatmeal like I have my cereal... covered in milk. I cooked the oatmeal then when it cooled a bit I covered it in milk and topped it with all bran buds and peanut butter.


I had maybe 1/3 of it and then I chucked the rest. It wasn't bad I just really didn't want it and I was full. I probably won't have this again but I love trying to get myself to like oatmeal. It's actually kind of funny. Tonight I am making overnight oats to see if I enjoy those. I hope I do.

I picked up some beets last weekend and forgot all about them until today. My mum loves beets but I've never been a fan. I found a really easy recipe for Roasted Beet Salad and decided to give it a go.

All I did was roast the beets at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Then I tossed them in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, salt & pepper and oregano.

I served them with some homemade baked wontons and to my surprise the beets were pretty good. I don't hate them but I don't love them yet either. I really liked the way the beets were prepared... roasted beets get one thumbs up here.


My mum brought home food around 2 and I was really hungry even though I'd eaten so I enjoyed a greek salad with 1 chicken souvlaki skewer.


Unfortunately I slept the afternoon away. I can't believe how exhausted I was today. When I woke up I was, of course, hungry again (I'm a freakin' bottomless pit today). My step-dad bbq'd chicken breasts so I had a half of one topped with goat cheese and sliced cucumbers drizzled in olive oil.

My mum wanted ice cream for dessert so I accompanied her to Baskin Robbins and treated myself to a junior sized non-fat vanilla yogurt on a sugar cone.

Considering how much I ate today I only dipped into my weekly points by 2. Pretty darn good. I'm proud.

Thanks for all the comments about the new blog design. I really think it suits me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Im not an oatmeal person either...I try but I also toss out most of it too. lol :) I love beets! Good job trying new things! :)

Angela Power said...

Purdy place ya got here ;-)

Ya know what? It took me many many times of trying oatmeal before I found my "grove" with it and now I love, love, love it! It took a lot of trying though!

Find the Hearts said...

You are one determined girl! I love love love beets. I don't season them. Just boil them and eat them. SO good!

A tip for the oatmeal. I eat it raw. I put 1/3 cup of raw oats in 1/2 cup of yogurt over night while I sleep and it's ready for me in the morning. I put on lots of cinnamon and a handful of fresh berries. :)

Anonymous said...

overnight oats

ANY kind of oatmeal (even packaged kind) put into container along with half a cup to a cup (whatever you prefer) of milk/soy/almond milk whatever... In the morning give it a stir...if it's not milky enough add more! Also add a glob of yogurt to it and all of your toppings. I doubt you will be dissapointed ;)