Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Need Veggies NOW!

It all started last night after my Weight Watchers meeting. Actually that's a lie, it started well before that... I had a hankering for some nuggets after having them in Niagara over the weekend. I decided that after my Weight Watchers meeting that I would get myself some... I justified it with the fact that I am PMSing and had to give my body what it wanted.

[Side note: Am I the only person who PMSes like a nut job? The week before my period I am a hot mess on every level. Example: the BF sent me a cute text yesterday and I'm pretty sure my eyes started watering as though it was the nicest thing I'd ever read... wtf? Today I am bloated like nobody's business and it's just no fun. I also crave things worse than normal... which is pretty bad... I have very specific cravings and they're violent too. It's only gotten worse since I restarted birth control 3 months ago. I really wish I didn't have to take these but I am in no place for babies right now. The hormones are kicking my ass. I feel very sorry for those who have to be around me]

In any case, I proceeded to McDonalds after my meeting yesterday and came home to inhale nuggets and fries. Afterward I wanted to puke. I swear they were like heaven in my mouth in Niagara. Maybe because BF went and got them for me and we shared them like we actually like each other? Sap moment.

This morning I woke up with a SERIOUS craving for veggies an lots of 'em. YAY PMS cravings actually working in my favour? I looked in the fridge to a sea of NOTHIN'. Veggies were m.i.a. So I drank some cold green tea with honey, lemon and ginseng and decided to catch up on some blogs for some recipe ideas before I hit the grocery store.

Prince K (my brother) and I made our way to the grocery store after I found a recipe that was everything I could have hoped for and more. We grabbed a few things to last us the week. I'd rather go buy more than buy too much and not use it. Plus, I'd really like to hit the Farmers' Market this Saturday for some local produce.

Mushrooms, Spinach, Bell Pepper, Summer Squash/Zucchini, Green Onions, Garlic and Heirloom Tomatoes.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this tomato.

We also picked up some other ingredients for some other meals I have in mind for the week.

Scallops, Panko bread crumbs, Tzatziki, Pizza Sauce, Tabasco (must-have!), Black Olive Pate, Tortillas, Mozzarella and Feta.

AND as our summer project, Prince K and I decided to invest in THIS...

Oh yes, that is our very own little herb garden... it has Basil, Rosemary and Parsley. We have NO CLUE what we're doing with it but we have it and the house smells divine. I don't know where to plant it or if I should keep it in the potter. I'm so lost.

Once I unpacked the groceries I started on tonight's dinner, which was the recipe I found scouring blogs earlier. So what was it that I was so inspired by? Kath's Summer Squash Gratin! The version featured on her blog yesterday looked absolutely divine.

I started cooking and then realized it was time to get Prince K some lunch. His friend was also over so I told them they could make tortilla pizza's. By this time I was famished having only had iced green tea for the day so I made myself one too...


Not exactly what my body was craving but I told my tummy to be patient as veggies were 'a' commin'

I followed the directions for the Gratin pretty much to a T... I added some mushrooms and a little feta so we'll see how it goes. This is the finished product.


I have yet to cut into it. I'm excited. This will be a lovely dinner tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the PMS thing. I started crying when Someone Loves You Honey (by June Lodge, if you don't know this song I will be highly disappointed in you lol)came on the iPod. I can also recall myself saying to the man last night "Why do you tell me you love me? You obviously don't." Poor thing, he is. Love your veggie loot, hopefully it doesn't give you 'the runs'. ;n)

Alexia said...

Amen. Someone else can relate: these hormones (because of my period this week and last) have been driving me batshit crazy. And the constipation?! Good grief.