Tuesday, 27 July 2010

You don't DO Yoga, You ARE Yoga







You know when you first start on your weight loss or healthy lifestyle journey you always imagine what you'll look like, the things you'll be doing or the ease at which you'll do certain things?

Today, when I walked out of the yoga studio in my spandex shorts (oh yes I did) and yoga tank, I realized that this moment was exactly what I worked for. I am the girl I've always wanted to be. I'm happy, peaceful, centered, optimistic and several sizes smaller!

Yoga was the best thing I could have introduced to my lifestyle and I believe it happened at the right time. I don't mean to get all crazy and philosophical but I do believe that everything happens a) for a reason and b) when it's supposed to happen. There's no way I could have picked up yoga a year ago... believe me, I tried but was convinced it was not for me. Too slow... not enough of that 'I'm going to die' feeling. I now know it's because yoga is more about the mind than the body so if you're not mentally ready for yoga, your body won't be either.

If you're wondering what kind of yoga I do, I am a hot yoga FREAK. Like head over heals in love with hot yoga. Each class is different as the instructors change and have different ways of conducting their hot yoga class.

Also find a good yoga teacher, studio or even DVD is just like finding a Weight Watchers leader. Not every single one is going to work for you but it's not the thing (i.e. Yoga) you don't like, perhaps it's the style of class.

My first hot yoga experience was great but I didn't really fancy the instructor and the room was dark, musty and HOT. I believe I referred to it as Hot Torture. My new studio is a great match for me. It's bright and airy and the room is hot but not torturous hot. It's just a calming and comfortable place to be.
I love yoga for a few reasons:
  1. It's not about competition, it's about improving your own practice: *giggles* If you laughed after you read that you know me well. Yes, I'm all about competition and kicking ass but it's nice to take some time to just focus on me and making myself better. I'm getting better everyday and it's such a gratifying feeling.
  2. Time for relaxation and meditation: I love laying in corpse pose at the end of class and letting my mind go blank like boys seem to do hourly. I'm getting better at emptying my mind and really surrendering to corpse pose.
  3. Finding my flexibility: As a former dancer I used to have all the flexibility in the world. Then I dropped dance and found my way into serious Volleyball and slowly but surely my flexibility disappeared. I'm now finding it again and it's lovely. You wait, my leg will be behind my ear in no time.
  4. The cleansing feeling after sweating profusely: I drip crazy sweat during hot yoga, like there are pools of sweat on my mat during class. I have to use my towel underneath my hands just to stay in downward dog. I love feeling like I've just released every toxin in my body even if that's not the case.
  5. The empowering feeling of challenging your body to hold positions you never thought you could: I always walk out of yoga feeling like I can do anything. Who would have thought I'd be balancing on one foot while holding another and reaching for the heavens! haha we call this, Dancer's Pose or Natarajasana.[source]
As I was typing this post I have having a lovely convo with the bf that went a little something like this:

Allie: [blah blah blah about his basketball training camp] ... Well I went to yoga at 12:00 today so I'm relaxing.
BF: I need to invest in some yoga with you, how was it? (OMG did he just ask to come to yoga AND ask how it was... bless his heart).
Allie: Music to my ears; yes, you definitely do! Today was so relaxing. I'm getting better everyday! I'm in love with hot yoga.
BF: Alright, I'll say Friday please and thank you; I need to get on your level. (OMG again, did he just set a time to COME to yoga with me AND say please & thank you... bless his heart again).
Allie: (and just because I'm a brat) Friday is fine, but you'll never get on my level.
BF: Haha cool, remember you said that. I'll try still...
Allie: Prepare for death by heat. Drink lots of water and remember, it's okay to cry.

I can't wait to hear the big man's thoughts on hot yoga. He's a 6'7", 226 lb basketball playing solid piece of chocolate (ya I said it). Can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a cute n inspiring blog you have!!! Luvs it!!!

http://shrinkindeb.blogspot.com/

carla said...

oooh I cant wait either
my husband is not that big and yet claims he "CANT DO YOGA"

**whispers**
he needs the yoga :)

MizFit

Unknown said...

haahahahahahha!!! Andrew gave up on hot yoga & so did I for the summer, but you better believe I'm picking it right back up in the fall.

I love your last comment 'it's okay to cry' i snorted out my tea!