Sunday, 12 December 2010

Supersize me!

Seasons Greetings!!!

Weight Watchers launched the PointsPlus program last week and I couldn't be happier. As a leader, I'll admit that I was quite nervous to launch the program to my members. It's one thing for me to believe in it wholeheartedly and quite another for my members to make the switch. I've had a year and half of learning how to eat well before the program rolled around so the transition wasn't really that hard. I've also learned how to maintain my weight without much thought. My members, as usual, were fabulous and jumped right in.

In an attempt to help my members along the way I committed to some blogging. Oy! I don't know what it is about blogging that suddenly throws my eating off but nonetheless making the transition into planning, counting and shooting my meal was something else.

Let's backtrack to last week. I'm nearly the end of my first semester in Teacher's College. The experience has been amazing but the work is starting to pile up. I had an assignment due Saturday at noon and also a meeting to prep for. Friday night I was up until 3:00 a.m. getting everything done, then I was up at 6:30 to get ready for my meeting. I was EXHAUSTED.

Saturday after my meeting I stopped at McDonalds on the way home for what was supposed to be a lonely Egg McMuffin sans butter (I have the PointsPlus value memorized already). It turned out to be an Egg McMuffin combo with an apple juice... whatever, tracked it and moved on.

I got home and slept for a bit and then headed to my hair appointment for 1:00. I didn't think I was going to make it through the day so on the way to the hairdresser I stopped at Tim Hortons for a medium French Vanilla (I spend a lot of time on the road and have PointsPlus values memorized for about every fast food chain). Whatever it really was a waste of perfectly good calories but again, tracked it and moved on.

After my 3-4 hair appointment (shhh until you have black hair, don't judge) I was ravenous. Insert McDonalds trip #2. Here is a prime example of why you don't go through the drive through when you're famished. Under normal curcumstances, I'd have nuggets and some fries and be done with it. Why I felt the need to supersize my fries is beyond me. I've NEVER IN MY LIFE supersized my fries. Hello double digit PointsPlus value fries. It really was just an obnoxious choice on my end but whatever, tracked it and moved on.












Sunday, I headed to the grocery store with my mum. I picked up a few things but nothing over the top. My goal in all of this is to show what I'd be eating regardless of blogging again.








I sat and figured out the PointsPlus values for all of my new goodies which is what I hope all of my members reading this are doing. I marked them on the package so that I didn't have to go through the calculations every time.

For lunch on Sunday I had a salami and cheese pita stuffed with lots of veggies, some hummus and a little Greek dressing + a side of two clementines.








I also had some peach juice which I am obsessed with. I drink my water but I will always be a juice girl. Something about the sweetness gets me every time.















Anyway, story number 2... so we're at the grocery store and of course they're having a sale... 2 jumbo size bags of chips for $6. I, of course, immediately think 'hey, it's been a while since I've had some ketchup chips'. Soooo we buy two bags of chips. This is real life folks... yes I had the chips after having fries, and nuggets this weekend.












In any case, I wasn't really hungry for a large dinner so I decided on something light.









Sardines!

I decided to go with an open faced sardine melt. I've never tried sardines before but after seeing them featured so many times I thought why not. I'm a big fish person so I absolutely enjoyed them. It was a nice change from typical tuna.













Open Faced Sardine Melt Inspired by Kath Eats.
  • 1 can of sardines (I chose packed in water - I hadn't tried them and wanted to be in control of the flavour)
  • chopped sweet pepper (red, orange and/or yellow)
  • chopped tomatoes
  • chopped fresh spinach (not pictured)
  • 1 tbsp of miracle whip or mayo
  • 2 tsp of dijon mustard
  • lots and lots of hot sauce (personal preference)
  • salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients and keep tasting as you go to add flavour. Once the sardine salad is made, spread on bread of choice, slap some cheese on and melt it in the oven.

That's all for now,

2 comments:

Alexia said...

But I love that you can eat whatever you want in moderation, Allie!! :)

Christie Farrar said...

LOL- I love the comment about the hair. I am as white as they come and my hair always takes at least 2 hours, even if I am not doing anything crazy, just highlights and a trim.

I have long thick hair. I know what you mean by being famished :)