While searching for new healthy recipes I came across the book Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. Bryant Terry is an eco chef and food justice activist with African-American roots and food influences. His recipes focus on sustainable eating, something I've been trying to incorporate into my food habits.
The book's tagline reads: Fresh, Healthy and Creative African-American Cuisine. I think he has managed to capture the essence of the book perfectly; the recipes focus on fresh vegetables, healthy alternatives and creative ways to meld the two.

I hesitate to call this book a cook book because it's so much more than that. The introduction provides a background about vegan soul cuisine and some of the benefits of eating vegan. He doesn't try to force feed veganism to you and in fact notes that everyone's food journey is different; you should simply choose foods that work for your body. I wholeheartedly agree.
Bryant also mixes two of my favourite things in the ENTIRE world: food & music. In my life one doesn't go without the other. He includes the sheet music for a prayer-song written by his uncle -- I'm about to go bang out the melody on my piano. Also, for each recipe he includes a suggested song or two that captures the ambiance of the food, for example: the recipe for Johnny Blaze Cakes suggested soundtrack is "Bring the Pain" by Method Man.
So far I've only read through the book but I'm looking forward to trying a few of the recipes in the coming weeks.
--------------------------------------------
Now here's where it gets good: The wonderful folks at Da Capo Press have sent me a copy of Vegan Soul Kitchen to give away to one of my lucky readers!
How to enter:
- Leave me a comment telling me which of the following recipes you'd like to see me make on Dancing in My Nuddy-Pants -- Brown Coconut Rice, Johnny Blaze Cakes or Creamy Yellow Potato Soup. The winner's choice will be the first recipe I try.
You can also gain 2 additional entries by:
- Following me: If you're already a follower bonus! Make sure to tell me in your second entry.
- Mentioning the contest on your blog or if you don't have a blog e-mail 2 friends and copy me on the email inmynuddypants@gmail.com.
Contest closes: Friday, October 2, 2009. I will announce the winner on Saturday morning along with my weigh in results for that week.
Good Luck!

p.s. I owe you guys weigh in results for this week don't I? Well after eating out the entire week I am MORE THAN HAPPY to announce that I stayed exactly the same as two weeks ago - 187! I am super proud of myself.








27 comments:
Johnny Blaze Cakes, anything with cake in it sounds great to me!
PS I follow you too!
Good job for maintaining! I used to get upset with staying the same from week to week but it really is an accomplishment. :)
I vote for the brown coconut rice since I saw another recipe recently for that and it sounds good! :) YUM!
Im already a follower! :)
FanTAStic WI!!!
Great maintain!!
I would love to see you make the brown coconut rice. Sounds like an awesome cookbook!!
I already follow you :)
Johnny Blaze Cakes for sure!
I saw this cookbook in Clean Eating magazine and I told my hubby we NEED it. I'm so excited!
Already a Follower. :)
I vote for Creamy Yellow Potato Soup.
I am already a follower and I posted about your giveaway on my blog.
Great contest!
Good job Ally, you seem really busy lately and that's awesome that you're maintaining! I vote for the brown coconut rice! mmmm coconut!
With a name like Johnny Blaze Cakes...that's gotta be the one!
I'm a new follower (#51). :)
First of all, Thanks for your nice comments on my blog.
Second, great maintain - its hard when you are working all over the place but you did it!
As for the recipe I choose the soup!
PS I follow you and really enjoy your blog
BRown coconut rice! nom nom nom.
i am going to go with the creamy yellow potato soup.
erica_haggins@hotmail.com
I am a follower
erica_haggins@hotmail.com
The brown coconut rice!
I follow you :)
Here is my link to your giveaway http://misssarahlou.blogspot.com/2009/09/sunday-allies-giveaway.html
Yay Fun Giveaway!!!!!
Yup, Johnny Blaze Cakes!!
And of COURSE I follow you! ;-)
I say you make the brown coconut rice!!
I follow you :)
My vote would be coconut rice :)
...and I'm already a follower!
Post a Comment