Monday, 12 July 2010

Blogging Hiatus Explained [No Pictures Long Post]

So you may have noticed that I don't blog nearly as often as I used to.

The main reason for this is the fact that I've been out living life and I've kind of been hiding a piece of my life...

When I ended my relationship at the end of last year I had every intention of doing the single thing and dating and just seeing what I wanted in life. I didn't want to be committed to anyone and wanted to focus on me.

I felt and still kind of feel like because I wanted out of one relationship to be alone, I wasn't allowed to be in another relationship for a while but this kind of just happened and I can't say I'm mad it did.

I still don't want to say too much about him or introduce him to blogtown just yet but I assure you that he is quite the man and I am super happy. If you're wondering how I met someone so fast, just know that we've known one another for a long time so we're not new to each other.

In any case the reason I decided to finally bring this up is because we had some milestone moments this weekend and I really wanted to share them but realized there wasn't really a way to do it without mentioning him.

On Saturday, my cousins had a huge family bbq. We haven't done one of these in a while so it was nice to see all of my extended family. I forgot how much fun it is when a bunch of Scotians (people from Nova Scotia) get together. My cousin J brought her boyfriend as well and the four of us had a ball laughing and chatting. Introducing a new boy to your immediate family is one thing but introducing him to your great-aunts and great-uncles, second and third cousins and so on is kind of a big deal.

Food wise, I had a Bud Light Lime and some short cake for dessert. Quite the meal eh? I had leftover chicken from The Keg for lunch that day so I wasn't very hungry.

On Sunday I was invited over for Sunday Dinner (I capitalize because it's an actual event... a weekly thing) at the bf's house. This was the type of Sunday Dinner right out of a Tyler Perry movie. Lots of family, fun and food. I have got to say, I've never been more in love with a family ever! I love big families; they remind me of my own. Have you ever felt like you just belong?

Let's rewind a bit...

I was hanging out at the bf's last week when his sister (whom I adore to bits), suggested I come by for Sunday Dinner. Bf jumped ALL over that and was soon making plans for me to meet the extended fam. Bf plays basketball (Yes, I always date athletes. I am a firm believer that athletes should date athletes... it eliminates the groupie factor and there's just an understanding for the love of sport) in a Sunday league but the time varies each week. This week it feel right in the middle of Sunday Dinner so Sunday morning, bf suggested we do it another week since he wouldn't be there. Bf's mom (whom I also adore to bits) was not having that and told him that I had to come by anyway even if only for a bit. Can you imagine how scared I was with literally an hour notice before I had to go meet EVERYONE sans my companion.

I got there early so I had some time to spend with bf and the fam I already knew before everyone started to arrive. Bf left just as dinner was being served so I was on my own (I should also mention that he took my car as his in dead right now so I was stuck until he returned from his game). There was so much food to choose from but I settled on some coleslaw, homemade mac & cheese, a piece of fish and something else I can't remember. I'm pretty sure my hand was shaking as I tried to serve myself the fish... SO NERVOUS. I'm glad to say that I made it through dinner and dessert and post-dessert chatting ALL ALONE. I held my own. Bf got home after everyone had gone for the night so I braved grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and extended fam.

That might have been one of the scariest things I've ever done. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though. I can't get over how amazing that family is. What fantastic people.

SO, now that that's all out and open I really have no excuse now for why I'm not blogging.

My birthday is coming up this Sunday and the bf is whisking me away for the weekend. Eek! I'm so excited. I don't have to drive, I don't have to think, I don't have to plan a thing! It's perfect.

I'll make sure the camera battery is fully charged.

If you've made it through this post you freakin' rock. Thanks for sticking with me.

5 comments:

misssarahlou said...

Its hard sometimes to keep the private life off the blog so totally understand...I am a firm believer of everything happens for a reason and as one door closes another opens.

Congrats on the new bf...looking forwarding to more updates now, lol.

Kudos to you on getting through the first big family event on your own.

Unknown said...

you're fucking cute! <3 thanks for sharing such a wonderful story I'm sure a LOT of us can relate to :)right on for holding your own chicka xoxo

Anonymous said...

You are my relationship hero. Teach me Allie, teach me lol.

Alexia said...

left you an award on my blog!

Alexia said...

SIGH. it's wonderful when you met someone and then you meet his family and they're wonderful, too.